Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A change in flight plans...

Well, today was the first day of our 2010 bible school, Galactic Blast, and it was, well, a blast. However, it also was one of the first of many things we have had to modify because of our building project.

You see, we usually alternate summers hosting bible school with First Christian Church, and this would have been our year to host. In fact, when plans were first being made earlier this year, we were still planning on hosting at First United Methodist. Then, once the timeframe for construction fell in place, it became apparent that we would be unable to host bible school, so we had to go with a consecutive year at First Christian.

In fact, it was due to this change that I first heard that our project was happening so soon. When the April newsletter came out, it had an item about bible school being at First Christian. At first, I thought that maybe it was a misprint or something left in from an announcement from last year. But when I asked, I was told that we would indeed be at First Christian and it was due to the construction time frame, which had us moving out in the middle of May. (It basically came down to the legalities involved with the bid process. Once we accepted a bid, the time frame fell in place.)

For a while, it looked like our change of venue might not have been necessary, as by the beginning of May we were looking to June 13 being our last Sunday in the current building. However, when they said they were starting work that week, that meant actual demolition. Therefore, we had to already have the windows out at that point, meaning we needed to be moving stuff out before that. This entire process is what led to last Sunday being our last day in the building.

Anyway, that's a long story to explain why I'm singing and dancing at First Christian this week. Honestly, it's not necessarily a bad thing. The multimedia setup there makes leading the songs much easier. (They have screens on both the front and back walls, meaning I can watch the video while leading. One of the benefits of our new sanctuary is that we will have a similar setup.) However, part of me was really looking forward to having one last bible school in our old sanctuary. My first time to ever lead bible school music was two years ago in that sanctuary, and now it will be my only time. Perhaps it will be that those memories are then a little more special for that reason. Regardless, I will have fun leading the rest of this week at First Christian, and hopefully by this time next year, I will be leading music in our brand new church building at First United Methodist.

Until next time, remember, our God is incredible. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment