Greetings! As I promised, I have some pictures of the church without the stained glass windows. In case you are wondering, they have been removed and will be restored before being placed in our new church building. When I got up to the church on Tuesday, the last of the windows had been loaded up into the truck. I walked in and took some pictures. As I said last time, the scene reminded me of tornado damage. That's kind of ironic, considering the windows survived when a tornado actually did hit the church in the 1940's. However, the original roof did not, and that's when the current roof was built. That was also when the current front entrance to the church was built. Before, the entrances were on the corners, but during the remodel, rooms were built on the corners and the entrance was put in the front. So originally, the front window extended down like the two on the sides. No one seems to know what happened to the rest of the original window on the front. My theory is that that window did not survive the tornado, and that was one reason they decided to put a door there. However, I could be completely wrong.
Anyway, here are the pics:




As you can see in those last couple of pics, the chandelier was still up on Tuesday. When I was up at the church for choir practice on Wednesday, the chandelier was gone. It is also being saved to be reused. I'm not certain, but I believe the story I was told about that chandelier was that it was first in a movie house that was built on the same location the church is before the church was there. Here is a pic with the chandelier gone:

On a side note, I was up at the church tonight helping with the Youth's flamingo flocking. While we were up there, we noticed some random people hanging out in the church. It was fairly obvious that they did not belong there, and it seemed kind of weird. I don't think they can tear up anything too much worse than what we already have. Anyway, since the church is coming down in just a couple of days, it seems kind of moot. (I'm not saying it doesn't bother me, though, that people are trespassing on the church property.) I will try to get more pics up when the demolition starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment