Monday, June 14, 2010

And the walls came a-tumb-a-lin' down


Well, today was the big day. The day that our church home of 102 years came down. It was a day of mixed emotions for many. While it was sad to see the building go, we knew it was time, and now we can start building for another set of memories.


I arrived right at around 8 this morning, and a small crowd had begun to gather. We originally set up in front of the Christian Family Life Center, but once I saw that they were beginning from the back, I moved around for a better view. As soon as the demolition began, the throng quickly moved around to the back as well. The debris of the collapsing education building was used to fill in the basement. The main concern with the old education building was keeping it from falling onto the new education building. Fortunately, the only casualty was one of the windows.


Before too long, the machines had made their way through the old education building and began tearing into the sanctuary. This process took longer, as they had to move more debris out of the way. They left the front facade of the building up when they took a lunch break. I left to get lunch as well, and when I got back, they were tearing down the front of the building. The main concern was getting out the cornerstone, which is supposed to have some sort of time capsule in it. They managed to successfully remove the cornerstone, but getting into it proved trickier. In fact, we decided to hold off until we contacted the experts on how to best proceed. There will be a ceremony at a later date for the opening.


I took over a couple hundred pictures, and I know many other people did as well. However, I only have a few up right now. I will try to get more up later.



Tearing into the old education building




Only the sanctuary remains




Entering the sanctuary



The roof of the chruch collapses in


Anyway, all morning, as I reflected on my own memories of the building and my times in there, one of our choir anthems kept playing in my head. It's called "At the Cross," and I'll leave you with some of the words from that anthem.
But drops of tears can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'Tis all that I can do.
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day.
-Isaac Watts and Ralph E. Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment