Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Adjusting to change

Sunday was our first worship service in our new temporary home in the Christian Family Life Center. Despite the change of setting, the service went on like normal. In some ways, the service acknowledged the change our church is facing. Greg gave a sermon entitled "Beginning Again, Again," based on Jacob wrestling with the angel and being given the name of Israel. Kim did a children's sermon with a foil boat showing how if we need to be willing to accept change (like being reshaped from a flat piece of foil into a boat) in order to stay afloat. The choir sang the anthem "The Church's One Foundation," with the message speaking as a reminder that no matter where we worship, our foundation is always Jesus. On the other hand, other things happened with no correlation to the building whatsoever. The kids did a couple songs from VBS. We had communion like the first Sunday of any month. I guess the fact that we had no communion rail made that one of the bigger adjustments.

Anyway, I went by the church this afternoon, and the stained glass windows had just been taken out. Standing inside the building, I thought the place reminded me of pictures of tornado damage. I will try to get pictures up of the windowless church in the next couple of days, but for now here are a few more pics from the move last week.

The music library, completely cleaned out:


The balcony, with no carpet and pews. Getting those pews down was quite a challenge.




The entryway to the old education building. The right side of the frame has been sawed out so that we had more room to get pews out.



On Friday, the red curtain was removed from behind the choir loft. We also attempted to remove the large piece of wood paneling, but it proved to be fairly challenging. As of today, it is still there.


The stairs being removed from the back of the church. When I left on Friday, only the lower portion had been removed, but by Sunday the spiral section was also gone. I heard that they were sold to another local church.



No comments:

Post a Comment